Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blog Post #5

Symbaloo homepage with iconsPLN's, What Are They? Part 1

Before this week, I had never heard of Personal Learning Networks, so I most certainly learned a lot from this assignment by doing research on PLN's. Personal Learning Networks are learning networks that consist of people and resources. PLN's can be made up of contacts who inspire you or even just acquaintances. The goal of a PLN is have a place to grow your knowledge.

Welcome to My PLE, A young lady in 7th grade presents a great example of how she uses a Personal Learning Environment in her science class. She shows how she uses Symbaloo to her best advantage by organizing her social media and other fun sources across the top of the Symbaloo homepage and then she has her educational and school related sources across the bottom. I think this is a great idea! Separating social media and educational sites I believe is a great way to stay of task and create less distraction. I was honestly blown away to hear about the many way that this 7th grade student is accelerating her education through different sources. Especially hearing that she skypes a science teacher from another part the country to ask questions to, that is so awesome! My favorite thing this student said was "It can be distracting, but because there is so much freedom, you have the inclination to be RESPONSIBLE.

Developing a Personal Learning Network in EDM 310, In Dr. Strange's post he gives great instructions on how to build your own PLN. Essentially, you become a detective when you build your PLN.
  • Formulate Questions
  • Ask Yourself, "What interests you?"
  • Find your subject(s) 
  • Search! (people, places and activities)
  • Communicate with people who are also interested in your subject
  • Form a team of people nearby
  • Share Work
Now, I must ask myself, How will I develop my Personal Learning Network? I have always been interested in Photography, I find so much joy from capturing moments and taking photos of people that can make them feel great and overall I just love preserving memories through photography. My next step is I should research photographers and find ideas and inspiration from others and finally, I'll contact people and eventually I will form a group of people within mobile and together we can create endless possibilities. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justine, I have also never heard of a Personal Learning Network before this assignment. I like your example of the 7th grade student who Skypes with a science teacher. This is the perfect example of how education today is changing. I hope as a future educator I will be able to incorporate this into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete