Sunday, February 1, 2015

Blog Post #3

"How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?"


Group of peers running
My peers and I. Central Park, NY (2012)
Throughout my years I've learned so much from others around me, whether its been with harsh criticism or through tender reassurance, I believe there is so much we can learn from our peers and I also believe we have so much we can teach others using constructive feedback.


What Is Peer Editing?
I now have a better understanding of what Peer Editing is and why it can be very beneficial after watching the Prezi presentation "What is Peer Editing". As stated in the video there are three important factors in effective peer editing, the first being, give COMPLIMENTS. I consider myself to be a person who thrives in an environment where sincere compliments are given and received so I would say I agree with the presentation that the first and most important step in peer editing should be compliments. The second step is to give SUGGESTIONS. In order to give constructive feedback its crucial to give suggestions and ideas to help a fellow peer become better at what they are doing. The final step is to help make CORRECTIONS, To effectively correct a peer, you must give an explanation of why the corrections need to be made so that they can learn.

Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial
What I took out of viewing the slideshow of "Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial" is the importance of being SENSITIVE. It is all too true that giving criticism can be a tricky task, and that is why it is extremely vital that when peers review each others work they do this being very cautious of their words and how they present them in order to provide their  point but in a respectful manner.


Top 10 Peer Review Mistakes
This last video was my favorite, starting off with the fact that the whole video was narrated by a bright late-elementary or early-middle school student. My first reaction to the video was that this assignment must have been a great project for these students to work on because it involved interactive learning and was a project where everyone participated. What I was able to take away from the video is the do not's of peer reviewing and through clever examples from people like Whatever Will I see the importance of caring about your work being reviewed and through Jean the Generalizer I see the importance of being specific about mistakes made and directly pointing out where they have been made.

To summarize this weeks learning:

Peer Editing is suggestions, comments, compliments, and changes to writing.

I believe the best way to approach peer editing is by being thoughtful towards your peer's feeling but also with the attitude to want to better them in their work.

In this EDM310 class I will go about peer reviewing my classmates blog pots with the help of a theory that my fellow class mate, Corinne Shirley brought up to me, the COMPLIMENT SANDWICH, which in short, means to make sure you squish useful criticism and suggestions between two thoughtful compliments Because we all know that what is inside a sandwich is what makes the sandwich so great but what keeps the sandwich together is, in fact, the bread and in this situation the bread would be the compliments.

Sandwich with the word "compliment" on the bread and "criticism" in between



I feel that what makes peer editing so important is the fact that your work is being criticized by someone who is on the same level as you. Therefore, because they are on the same level as you it can be more powerful and meaningful when they give you suggestions, comments, compliments and changes to your writing.

Until next time, have a great week!
-Justine

1 comment: