Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blog Post #4

As our EDM 310 class motto states, "Questions are more important than answers" but how could that be, I asked myself. After truly thinking about the statement, I understand that it is true. Questions are more important because they are sparked out of a person thinking deeper and being more engaged into a subject.
Raised Hands
The driving question for this week is "What do we need to know about asking questions to be an effective teacher?" 

I found it so interesting to read about Ben Johnson's theories in the classroom with his article The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom. Mr. Johnsons emphasizes the fact that we teachers need to realize "we really do not know everything" and we need to come into the classroom with a humble approach and open attitude almost like a perfect student who is eager to learn. We also must be willing to learn from our young students.
Overall, what I concluded from the example videos and articles is that, so many times classrooms become dominated by a few students who always answer the questions and who also ask all the questions that the other percentage of the class easily drift their attention away from the teacher and the subject matter. What I've learned is that it is extremely important to create a learning environment where the students are more likely to pay attention because they know the teacher might randomly call on them. I know first hand, that this method works, I've definitely had my share of teachers who ask the class as a whole a questions and teachers who directly call on a student to ask a question. Although I get more nervous in the classes where I never know if my name will be called all of a sudden but, I also pay more attention to my instructor because of that innate fear of embarrassment that I wouldn't want to face if I had no idea how to answer the question asked. I guess you could say it is a positive pressure.



No comments:

Post a Comment